Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

What does "Presence of I.U.C.D." and "Bilateral Fimbrial Block" suggest?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5970 Questions
my X Ray of HSG says- Normal shape and size of uterine cavity with I.U.C.D suggested. No obvious peritonial spillage of contrast seen on either side-Regurgitation of contrast into vaginal vaginal vault noted. No evidence of Hydrosalpinx seen Impression : 1. Presence of I.U.C.D. 2. Bilateral Fimbrial Block suggested Please answer, 1. What does the above observation means in normal way ? 2. Do I have a problem in concieving a child ?
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. To answer your questions one by one - 1. The above findings mean that your fallopian tubes are blocked. The fallopian tubes are the tubes which carry the egg from the ovary into the uterus, and where the sperm meets the egg to lead to a pregnancy. They are blocked at the fimbrial end ( the end near the ovaries ) . The blockage of the tubes would lead to inability to conceive. Otherwise the uterus is normal in size and shape. 2. Yes, there is a problem in conception because the tubes are blocked. What I do not understand is that the report says there is the presence of IUCD - Intra Uterine Contraceptive Device, such as a Copper T , Mirena etc. If you are trying to conceive, why have you inserted such a device ? Please clarify that doubt for me. For blocked fallopian tubes seen on HSG, you need to have a laparoscopy to confirm for sure that indeed blockage is present, and for sometimes correction of blocked tubes is indeed possible during laparoscopy. Also, the IUCD has to be removed if you are planning to conceive. Before laparoscopy, your husband's semen analysis should be done. Regular folic acid supplements are to be taken, and ideal BMI should be maintained. Take care, and please feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What does "Presence of I.U.C.D." and "Bilateral Fimbrial Block" suggest? 24 hours later
Thank you doctor for your answer. I am also surprised about the presence of IUCD . Bcoz I have never inserted such thing on me. Is it something else they have recognized?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: It could be a foreign body inside the uterus. It could also be calcification of the uterine lining. Please go for a hysteroscopy to confirm the exact findings about the object inside the uterine cavity, alongwith a laparoscopy to confirm the status of the fallopian tubes, and to correct the blockage if required. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What does "Presence of I.U.C.D." and "Bilateral Fimbrial Block" suggest? 15 hours later
Thank you doctor for your reply. A fibroid has been identified in the USG report in July 2013 of 1.6 cm X 1.3 cm size. Does it have any role ?My age is 31 yrs now and my Husband is 43 yrs. How much is the chance of being pregnant ?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Yes, if it is a calcified fibroid, it could be mistaken for an IUCD sometimes. If there is no IUCD inside, a hysteroscopy and laparoscopy should definitely be done to confirm the exact cause. Also, it is difficult to estimate your chances of conception without going for a laparoscopy. IF the tubes are indeed blocked, and fail to be opened up with laparoscopy also, then the chances of conceiving spontaneously are almost nil. You would need to take aid of IVF ( in vitro fertilization ) to achieve a pregnancy. If tubes are open, then you have fairly good chances of spontaneous conception , provided there is no intrauterine lesion. All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor