What does Hba1c of 6.1%,creatinine of 1.12 and GFR of 55% indicate?

Question
My a1c came back 6.1, my creatinine serum was 1.12 and gfr 55. I fasted over 12 hrs for test. What does this mean
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
HEllo,
Good day.
Hba1c of 6.1% may mean that you have pre diabetes. This is a condition preceeding the onset of diabetes. Normal Hba1c is less than 5.7 %. A value between 5.7 to 6.4% means prediabetes and Above 6.5% is diabetes. You may need additional tests like Oral glucose tolerence test to confirm the diagnosis.

GFR less than 60 is low. Your GFR is slightly lower than normal. What is your weight and height and race?. I will be able to calculate the GFR once again based on these factors.

Binu

Follow-up: What does Hba1c of 6.1%,creatinine of 1.12 and GFR of 55% indicate? 3 hours later
I am 5,6 and my blood sugar was 105 after fastibg

Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
Fasting blood sugar of 105 is suggestive of impaired fasting glucose. Together, an Hba1c of 6.1% and FBS of 105 is called as Prediabetes. To assess your risk of developing diabetes, you need to do a 75 gram OGTT ( oral glucose tolerance test).
You need to start doing exercise and reduce carbohydrates in diet. You will also need a Fasting lipid profile test

You can calculate your GFR yourself in the Internet. Check out MDRD formula for GFR in google.

Regards XXXXXXX