What does HbA1C value of 7.9 indicate?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: My Mother was recently diagnosed with diabetes about 6 weeks ago. Her A1C test was 7.9. The doctor is giving her a chance to try to manage with diet and exercise. He did not really explain to us what numbers to aim for. Is 7.9 bad? What numbers should we aim to keep sugar at? When do we determine that diet and exercise is not working? She is 65 years old. She weighs around 178 and is 5 feet 7 inches.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diet and exercise

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

7.9 Hba1c means that her average blood sugar is about 180 mg/dl. Here is what you should do

1. Follow a strict diabetic diet
2. Exercise daily for a minimum of 45 minutes a day
3. Drink plenty of water, about 6-8 glasses
4. But a self monitoring glucometer from the pharmacy. Fasting blood sugar should be aimed to be less than 116 mg/dl and 2 hours post pradial ( after food) should be aimed at 180
5. Diet and exercise is considered not working when 3 months later the HbA1c is still above 7.
6. I usually do not recommend lifestye modification in patients with Hba1c above 7, i start metformin 500 mg twice daily

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 24 minutes later
I have read eating before bed would decrease sugar level in morning. Do you recommend this? If so, what do you recommend eating?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Dinner should be eaten atleast 2 hours before sleeping. I do not recommend eating just before sleeping, it raises the blood sugar and also causes lots of gastritc discomfort.

I recommend eating oats at night 2 hours before bed time. Oats is known to lower sugar, cholesterol and also adds fibre to the diet

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist