What does Fetal pyelectasis in an ultrasound during pregnancy indicate?
Unlikely to have any problem
Hi XXXXX, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. Fetal pyelectasis is the dilatation of the renal collecting system including renal calyces and renal pelvis. It has diggerent cut-off values for different trimesters. For third trimester, the cut off value is 7mm; if it is more than 7 mm then it is called as renal pyelectasis.
Renal pyelectasis in fetus can be due to:
1. Obstruction in the renal tract, usually mild
2. A soft marker for fetal chromosomal anomalies, especially Downs syndrome, and such soft markers are usually visible in second trimester ultrasound.
3. Associated with other genetic syndromes.
Since your ultrasound at 21 weeks was absolutely normal, with no other anomalies or soft markers mentioned and the pyelectasis developed late in third trimester, and that too borderline, it is more likely due to some mild obstruction in the renal tract.
It is very unlikely to be chromosomal anomaly or any other genetic syndrome, if no other congenital anomalies are seen and amniotic fluid is normal.
I would suggest you to deliver at a tertiary care centre, with a facility of pediatric urolologist. The neonate should be evaluated with post natal renal ultrasound and if pyelectasis is still there, then a micturating cystourethrogram should be done to detect the obstruction in renal tract.
If any other features of chromosomal anomalies are suspected in the newborn,which is very unlikely, a karyotype should be done.
I suggest you not to worry as your fetus is most probably absolutely normal.
Be positive and hopeful.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr Deepti Verma
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Tifa ultrasound during pregnancy
- Transvaginal ultrasound during pregnancy
- 3d ultrasound during pregnancy
- Level 3 ultrasound during pregnancy
- What should i expect from my ultrasound during pregnancy
- Frequency of ultrasounds during pregnancy
- Indications of ultrasound during pregnancy
- Shadow in ultrasound during pregnancy
- Early ultrasound during pregnancy
- Reasons for ultrasounds during pregnancy
- What are side effects of Unwanted 72 taken to stop pregnancy?
- What are the chances of pregnancy through unprotected sex without...
- What causes vaginal bleeding after having I pill?
- What causes delay in menstruation after taking I-pill?
- What causes dizziness after having Percocet?
- What causes delay in period despite having I pill after unprotected sex?
- What causes heavier menstruation while taking Progesterone during...
- What causes constipation, whitish bumps on nipples and pink spotting?
- What causes bleeding from vagina while urinating?
- What are the different methods of safe abortion?