What does "Cannot rule out possible Arterial Infarct" in an EKG report mean?

Dr. Lohit K

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi I am 66 years old, suffered daily, for past 12 years with chest pain, breathless, palpatations,fatigue
bedridden for long spells can you tell me what it means on EKC: Cannot rule out possible Arterial Infarct. age undetermed Abnormal EKG.
another one said in 2006: ID cannot rule out possible Arterial Infarct and possible Artrial enlargment
Age undetermined.
Abnormal EKC

thank you
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
damage due to lack of blood supply

Detailed Answer:
I went through the query and understood your concern.

I like to explain your EKC one at a time

1. Arterial Infarct: This suggest that the atrium, one of the four chambers in the heart has got damaged due to lack of blood supply. The result has shown as cannot rule out the possibily, suggest that there may be chance of infarction.

2. Possible Artrial enlargment: Again the possibility of atrium being enlarged is there.

3. Age undetermined: No significance.

So in summary both the EKG suggests the possibility of atrial infarction. Along with this the symptoms of chest pain, breathless, palpatations, fatigue suggests need for further evaluation using echocardiogram. This will tell the reason for symptoms and your pathology.

I hope this information answered your questions and is helpful to you. Feel free to ask for any further queries. I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you faster recovery and good health.