What does "Bone island in right hip" in a CT scan indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
I recently had to have a CT scan due to problems with my stomach. I had a gall stone and had to have it removed.

The CT scan showed some other issues: Bone island in right hip, large lobular uterous with partially calcified fibroids and 3 small nodules in base of both right and left lung. Each were 2-3mm.

My doctor wants me to have a full chest CT scan since they only did the base. I am very worried.

Can these things be related?
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These three findings are not related to each other

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

Besides gall bladder calculus,you have three more findings.
Bone island in right hip,large lobular uterus with partially calcified fibroids and 3 small nodules in base of both right and left lung are not related to each other.

Bony island in right hip bone is an incidental finding and it doesn't require any treatment.

Fibroid is benign tumour of the uterus and its calcification suggests its long presence.Its treatment depend upon many things like symptoms,family is completed or not.You need proper assessment by your gynecologist.Mostly it is treated conservatively.Surgery may be done if required.

3 small nodules in base of both right and left lung need follow up imaging.However,it is important to screen full thorax and other findings like any enlarge lymph node,any similar nodules else where in lung should be searched.
Nodules may be due to many reasons like infection,inflammation,mass etc.
You need clinical correlation and full investigation.
Treatment depend upon findings.

Don't get tensed.Please go for complete investigation.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does "Bone island in right hip" in a CT scan indicate? 1 hour later
I also had an X-ray of the chest. If there were larger masses in the lung would they have shown up? I am a non smoker by the way.

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing back

Yes,large mass would be definitely seen in chest X-ray.
It is good that you don't smoke.Smokers have definitely increased risk.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX