What does "Anechoic right upper pole renal cyst" mean in an ultrasound report?

Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: My wife had ultrasound with the following results:
Right Kidney:There is an anechoic partially exophytic cyst in the uper pole measuring 4.5 x 4.4 x 3.6 cm. Renalcortical echogenicity is within normal limits. No hydronephrosis or evidence of nephrolithiasis.
Left Kidney: Renal cortical echogenicity is within normal limits. No hydronephrosis. There is a 5mm non shadowing echogenic focus in the upper pole and a nonobstructive calculus is not excluded.
Impression: Anechoic right upper pole renal cyst. Cannot exclude a non obstructive left renal calculus. There is no hydronephrosis bilaterally.
What does this indicate as far as further immediate action or treatment?
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound s/o cyst.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Dgp,

The renal cyst is of NO relevance at all. with aging you can get cysts in the kidney . this is a simple cyst as per the ultrasound report and hence need not cause any panic.

as far as the opacity in other kidney is concerned. there is a doubt of a renal stone.

Only way to confirm is by non contrast CT Scan KUB.

But is important to know why was the ultrasound done. was it a routine check or was it because of some symptoms.

if the patient is asymptomatic , nothing extra has to be done.

best wishes