What does A1C value for diabetes indicate?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Diabetes
Question: Please explain the A1C values for diabetes. What is the normal range, pre diabetic range, and when is a patient considered diabetic according to A1C values? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About HbA1c;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!

For people without diabetes, the normal range for the hemoglobin A1c level is between 4% and 5.6%.
Hemoglobin A1c levels between 5.7% and 6.4% mean you have a higher chance of getting diabetes (prediabetes) while the value of 6.5% or higher mean you have diabetes.

Anyway, fasting and postprandial levels are also needed for a better diagnosis as fasting or postprandial glucose levels may be higher than normal and HbA1c within the normal ranges due to low glucose levels during the day.

So the three components are helpful in making the diagnosis.

Hope to have been helpful. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee