What do you do if you get stung by a bee?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hey doctor,

Two nights ago I was bitten by a bee on the back of my left leg and I had a bit of swelling and pain from it but it went down with the use of an ice pack and stingos cream. But the next night after it went down that morning, it started to get red and inflamed again with a small localised rash around where I was bitten and it’s quite an angry looking rash which itches at times as well i have attached an image of it. What can I do about it and will it be something goes away on its own or would I need antibiotics for it how can I tell?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Irritant reaction

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image.

It is an irritant reaction to insect bite.
I suggest you to apply a topical steroid e.g mometasone furoate 0.1 %cream Or triamcinolone acetonide0.1 %cream, twice daily.
In addition I suggest you to take an oral antihistamine e.g Cetrizine 10mg tab once every evening for symptomatic relief from itching.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Thanks for the reply doc I will try the creams, just another thing though that I have been noticing lately. Is if I leave a long gap between meals or if I skip breakfast for example I start to feel lightheaded and dizzy is this a normal reaction to skipping meals and not eating? I actually had a diabetes test a couple months back and also checked my ketones etc which where all in a normal range so could this simply be the long gap causing it? Like if I wake up for example and don’t eat a proper meal for 3-4 hours I will start to get it.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hypoglycemia could be a possibility

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Perhaps that is due to hypoglycemia due to long gap between meals. I suggest you to kindly consult a physician regarding this.