What do white patches on hand and shoulder indicate?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: For last six to eight month back I have noticed some white patches on both of my hands and on the right shoulder. I have ignored it as there is no itching nor any kind of problem. But since last month it seems the patches are increasing. I have once shown to skin specalist and his reaction was it could be fungal and nothing to worry it will go automat. or u use candid cream. It has not gone and seems to be increaseing. have attached the pic for reg.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pityriasis versicolor - fungal infection

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for white patches on both hands and on the right shoulder.

After reading your query with diligence and analyzing the picture with best diligence I can get that you have the superficial fungal infection which is medically known as Pityriasis versicolor.

Your treating doctor is correct in his diagnosis and has given you the best treatment in the form of anti-fungal clotrimazole cream.

To tell you simply about Pityriasis versicolor: It is very superficial fungal infection of the skin which basically affects the trunk region and upper limbs. It is initially manifested as dark brown or mild reddish brown areas which gets darkened in few days. This dark color is due to formation of pigment by the fungus causing the infection. By self subsidence of the fungus or by treatment the pigmented area are shed off in form imperceptible scales and leaves behind pinkish to whitish areas of normal skin.

You can see in the picture that there are certain areas which are pinkish and whitish. It shows that your medication of clotirmazole is working well.

Pityriasis versicolor occurs due to heat, humidity and sweating - the environment favored by fungus. So to prevent further formation in future you try and avoid moisture as well as heat, humidity and sweating.

For the betterment kindly follow the suggestion below:

- Keep your self away from hot and humid climate.

- Take two times bath.

- Wear cotton clothes and cotton undergarments to be changed two times a day. Do not wear any synthetic or tight garments.

- Iron your clothes form inside (even undergarments too).

- Do not sit continuously for long hours.

The condition of Pityriasis versicolor is one of the simplest fungal infections and you will be alright in few weeks.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health and early recovery from the problem"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)