What do white bumps on penis indicate?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, last week I noticed a "white head" looking thing just under my penis head, I poped it and then noticed a few days later 2 bumps on the right sidr of my penis by the base of the shaft. I tried to pop them and just got a lot of blood; however they seem yo be going away now (see image). now this week, I shaved and noticed another group of about 4 bumps. I also tried to pop them to days ago, once again, just lots of blood and a some clear stuff. 1 of them does appear to have a yellowish color. what do I have? and what over the counter stuff works on it?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Herpes infection.usually given under prescription.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query. I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.
With the photos and description given it appears to be Herpes genitalis which is caused by herpes simplex virus may be 2 or 1 type.
It is usually transmitted by sexual route also even by skin to skin contact.
They can be recurrent.but will be less severe for subsequent appearances.
Keep the area clean. Wash twice daily with warm water.
Take oral anti virals like acyclovir 200mg 5 times a day after discussion with your doctor.
Or you can take famciclovir or valacyclovir.
Topical antiviral creams or mupirocin creams can be used.
You can take analgesics if pain.
No intercourse when active lesions are present.
Use condoms other times.
You can check for these in your partner.
You can get back to me for any clarifications .
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 1 hour later
I was diagnosed Molluscum Contagiosum, are you sure it's Herpes?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Herpes more likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
There is redness around all lesions you have and is recurring soon.it may be associated with pain or burning or itching.all these favors herpes.
Molloscum do not spread so fast and usually do not have redness and are asymptomatic.
If you still have doubt you can go with histopathological examination .Even serological examination if available can be done.
You can get back if you need any clarification else please close the discussion and rate.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh