What do vibrations on the foot during night time suggest?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have had vibration on outside of left foot for 3 days. I could only feel it at night for the first 3 nights, but feel it now during the day. It feels like a very very faint cell phone vibration - 1 second on, 2 seconds off, with no pain what so ever. It could initially be felt in my last 2 left toes, but now it is felt on the side of my foot below the pinky toe, for about an inch of space. No serious health issues. I do have Lichen Sclerosus (autoimmune skin issue on vulva - but totally asymptomatic), and no other issues. I am 44, a nursing mother of a 22 month old and have a 5 year old. I am very exhausted this week.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
maybe radiculopathy or partial seizure phenomenon

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Your symptoms of vibration over left lateral toes has two possibilities. First you may be having L5 -S1 radiculopathy. This is usually associated with backache, some radiating pain to lower limbs and later develop sensory loss and motor deficit in the concerned segment.
Second possibility is of partial seizure with episodic sensory phenomenon.
This possibility is less likely as there is no such features in Upper limb,face and no cranial symptoms.
I will advise you to consult a neurologist for proper examination and evaluation and investigation.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Neeraj Kumar.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 13 minutes later
Any concern for MS or cancer tumor pressing on nerve? These are conditions I am most fearful of.

I do have ongoing back issues - My mid back was hurting while I was cooking last night, and it is a bit sore now - more so on left side. I saw a chiropractor 2 months ago for severe neck/back pain which was greatly limiting my movement.

I have no pain at all in the foot but can feel the vibrating now - very very mild and more obvious during rest.

No other symptoms but exhaustion - and mild back pain. I have a 30 pound toddler who I am lifting constantly and I am 5'2" 108 pounds. I do have an umbilical hernia.

So, any MS or cancer concerns?
My back pain is really mild but consistent. Only mild neck pain at the moment and no radiating pain.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
unlikely possibility of multiple sclerosis or cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Most likely possibility in light of your current account is lumbar radiculopathy of mild nature. There is unlikely possibility of multiple sclerosis. Even for cancer such a short history is against the diagnosis. Still I will advise you to consult a neurologist so that he can assess you complete and investigate with Mri spine if needed.
For radiculopathy you can do physiotherapy, avoid forward bending, squatting, lifting heavy objects. Medications like pregabalin, gabapentin or amitryptiline can be used to modulate radiculopathic pain.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Neurologist