What do these x-rays of lumbar spine and thoracic spine indicate?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: can a doctor explain this?

I have 2 different x-rays taken

Lumbar spine-
Findings: there are small rudimentary 12th ribs. there is sacralization of l5 with 4 nonribbearing lumbar-type vertebrate. There is levoconvex scoliosis. alignment of the posterior margins of the vertebral bodies maintained with no disc interspace narrowing or significant spondylotic changes present

Thoracic spine-
there is right convexity scoliosis involving mid lower thoracic spine. cobbs angle is up to 35 degrees. there is straightening of curvature in sagittal plane. there is suggestion of slight end-plate spurring in the lower thoracic spine, although the appearance may be exaggerated by scoliosis. no significant active changes are otherwise noted

please explain
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Malalingnment and degenative changes of vertebral column.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Last pair of ribs are small, not normal.

Sacralisation of L5 vertebra means that the last lumbar vertebra (L5) is attached to the sacral bone and L5-S1 level is immobile.

The role of L5-S1 joint is taken by the L4-L5 level.

So far, these are normal variants of imaging findings.

There is scoliosis at lumbar column that seems to be compensated by scoliosis of the thoracic column. ( scoliosis is malalingnment of vertebral column due to bad posture, degenative changes etc.)

There are also degenative changes of both, bones ( vertebrae ) and intervertebral discs. ( bone spurs and decrease of intervertebral space ).

Those changes are found usually in patients suffering from arthropathy of vertebral column.

Cobs is a calculated angle of thoracolumbar column that assesses severity of scoliosis and kyphosis.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Best regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 11 minutes later
will this cause pain?
can you tell if this is from birth?
will the angle progress?
what treatment is best?
is this a serious condition?

i apologize for the questions, but i am concerned

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Questions answered below.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

This condition can cause pain.

It is not from the birth, usually is a slowly progressing condition.

Both possibilities exist about the angle, it may progress, or it may remain at these values.

Best treatment in this case is physical therapy and NSAID drugs if in pain, however, a vertebral column MRI needed to evaluate better the condition and to predict treatment ways.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.
Thank you

also as there is 2 curves is this known as Thoracolumbar scoliosis?
and is this a serious condition?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is a thoracolumbar scoliosis.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Yes, it is a thoracolumbar scoliosis condition.

Seriousness depends on symptoms that it may cause and radiography findings.

As I mentioned before, MRI of the thoracolumbar spine is needed to understand better its gravity.

Hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 11 hours later

does the x-ray findings make it clear that its not from birth?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
X-rays can't differentiate that.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Actual x-rays cannot differentiate if these spinal column changes were from the birth or not.

Only if you own old x-rays to compare with new ones, we can understand better the progression of the condition.

Hope this helps. If you have further questions feel free to ask.