What do these widal test results indicate?

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Infections
Question: Widal Test Results for my 5 year old daughter are
1. Salmonella typhi O (TO) - Non Reactive
2. Salmonella typhi H (TH) - Non Reactive
3. Salmonella paratyphi A, H (AH) - Reactive 1:40
4. Salmonella paratyphi B, H (BH) - Non Reactive

What do the results mean?
Please review the full report and provide your medical advice
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reports suggestive of bacterial infection and vitamin D deficiency

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

I have gone through your daughter's lab reports. They are suggestive of bacterial infection along with vitamin D deficiency. The Widal test is considered normal and doesn't need any intervention at present. Urine test is necessary to rule out urinary tract infection.

The reports should be clinically correlated. Usually we recommend emperical use of antibiotics such as cefixime for 5-7 days in cases of fever without focus and such derangement of lab reports. Also, vitamins D supplement such as Cholecalciferol are prescribed.

Hopefully this will help you. I would be happy to help you in any further questions.