What do these vitamin D test and Dexa scan reports indicate?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: Hello Sir. This is again a follow up question for my aunt's T2N0M0 breast carcinoma with ER+, PR+ and HER2-, 3cm and lymph node negative.

I was trying to get her Vitamin D test done along with Dexa Scan and little confused on the type of test need to be done for Vitamin D. There are 3 types of tests in this category.
1. 25 - Hydroxyvitamin D, Serum
2. 1, 25 Dihydroxy Vitamin D, Serum
3. Vitamin D Plus
Which one do you recommend us to do?
Also, How often we need to to this test?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
First one

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for following up.

It should be 25 hydroxy vitamin d. If normal, you can repeat in 6 months. If low, increase the supplements and repeat in 3 months. No rigid guidelines, just what I would do.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 47 hours later
Hello Sir.

We got the dexa scan and Vitamin D tests done for her and I have attached the report for your reference.

Just to update you, she is taking Tab D3 60K every week from the week chemotherapy started. It was mentioned to take for 12 weeks but I just told her to continue until we do the Vitamin D test and she has even taken it yesterday for this week.

Questions:

1. Please advise the dosage of Vitamin D based on the report.
2. Please advise whether the Bisphosphonate should be administered for her based on the Dexa scan report.
3. One year mammogram should be done exactly one years after the treatment is completed or with respect to the last mammogram done last year December before the surgery?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
answers below

Detailed Answer:
1. This Vitamin D level is normal. Now no need to take it. Repeat another level in 6 months then it can be decided.

2. Bone density is low, so bisphosphonate should be started. Eg, zoledronate IV infusion every 6 months

3. Usually it is 1 year from the last mammogram

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T