What do these this routine medical test reports indicate?

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Have got routine medical tests done. Want to discuss reports
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
please provide clinical details.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
Your serum amylase, serum chloride, iron binding capacity, serum iron, transferin saturation, calcium, lipase, sodium, BUN , creatinine, uric acid, thyroid profile are within normal limits. Liver profile is also normal except SGPT and GGT which are marginally raised. Your lipid profile is definitely deranged and need consideration. Before I discuss your lipid profile I would like to know a few things. Do you have diabetes, high blood pressure, heart attack, angina or stroke? Do you smoke or take alcohol? What is your usual blood pressure? This information is important in understanding your future risk of heart attack and need for drug therapy.
Waiting for your reply.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 23 minutes later
I DONT HAVE :

1) Diabetes
2) High Blood Pressure
3) Heart Attack or Angina or Stroke

I do smoke, 15-20 (a day) and was a heavy alcoholic for 15 years but have been clean for the last 4 years.

Usual Blood pressure is normal.

XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please see details

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

I have calculated your risk of heart attack in next 10 years which comes out to be 12 out of 100. That means 12 people out of 100 with profile similar to yours will have heart attack in next 10 years. However if I remove smoking from the profile, the risk is 1 out of 100. Hence most important future risk is from smoking.

Your cholesterol is also high. If you do not quit smoking, which you should, you are a candidate for STATIN therapy (which are cholesterol lowering drugs). Previous approach of TREAT TO TARGET has gone. Now we see the overall risk and treat accordingly. It is recommended that
1. You must quit smoking.
2. Maintain ideal body weight (body mass index of 23).
3. Avoid fried foods, foods rich in trans fat and saturated fats, sweets etc.
4. Take high fiber diet.
5. Do daily exercise, brisk walk for a target time of 45 minutes (supervised).
6. Take only prescribed calories for your height weight and life style. Do consult a dietitian.

You need to repeat the lipid profile after 12 weeks and discuss again.

Need not to do anything for marginally raised SGPT and GGT. Avoid medicines which are bad for liver. Repeat liver profile after 12 weeks.

Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss further.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari