What do these serum LDH levels and RBC count indicate?
LDH Serum - 332 (ref range is 120 - 246)
SGOT / AST - 41 (range is 0 - 34)
Urea / Creatinine Ratio - 19.44 (range is 20 - 35)
HDL - 34 (range is 35.3 - 80)
LDL - 136 (range is 60 - 100)
LDL / HDL Cholesterol Ratio - 4 (range is 0.1 - 3)
Iron (fe) - 47 (range is 65 - 175)
UIBC - 374 (range is 110 - 370)
Transferrin Serum - 369.3 (range is 215 - 365)
% Saturation Transferrin - 11.16 (range is 16 - 50)
RBC Count - 5.56 (range is 3.5 - 5.5)
Needed your advise on what is to be done.
Thanks and regards, XXXXXXX
Suggestive of Iron deficiency anemia and Hypercholesterolemia.
Thanks for posting your query on HCM.
I appreciate your concern for the given lab tests results.
Normal range is 105 - 333 IU/L (international units per liter).
Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. Some labs use different measurements or test different samples.
Serum LDH is elevated in a number of clinical conditions.
Megaloblastic anemia, hemolytic anemia, Hodgkin's disease, abdominal and lung cancers, severe shock, myocardial infarcttion, pulmonary embolism, muscular dystrophy, liver and kidney diseases
In liver disease, elevations of LDH are not as great as the increases in aspartate amino transferase (AST) and alanine aminotransferase (ALT).
Red blood cells contain much more lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) than serum.
a hemolyzed specimen due to transportation via pneumatic tube, vigorous mixing, or traumatic venipuncture may also cause elevated LDH.
SO, THIS ELEVATION CAN BE A FALSE POSITIVE.
2. Low Iron and decreased %Saturation Transferrin with Increased Transferrin-suggestive of Iron deficiency anemia...could be due to dietary deficiency of iron, parasitic infestations like Hookworm, etc.
3. High LDL with high LDL/Cholesterol ratio: Increased level of cholesterol in the blood.
In view of the above interpretation, I would advise you to consult a physician for
1. Treatment of HIGH cholesterol (you may be prescribed STATINS) and Iron deficiency anemia and to treat its underlying cause like worm infestation and iron supplements
2. To repeat the Serum LDH level and possibly its iso-enzymes
3. Avoid taking fatty vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals, eat healthy balanced diet rich in vegetables and fruits, do regular exercise, stop smoking (if you are a smoker).
Hope the advice given above could be of great help in getting the treatment and prevention of the abnormal parameters discussed.
Wishing you best of your health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is a normal serum creatinine level
- What is a dangerously low rbc count
- What does elevated serum beta hcg levels indicate during pregnancy
- Rbc folate vs serum folate
- What is rbc count in blood testing
- What does rbc in stool indicate
- What is the remedy for elevated serum bilirubin levels
- What does serum creatinine of 14 indicate
- What does negative rbc count indicate in a child
- What happens with high serum ige levels