What do these negative HIV test results after an unprotected sex indicate?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Dear Drs,

Few times unprotected oral sex in end of may, last time on 3/6 ;
24 days 4th generation elisa combo test was Neg;
27 days RNA PCR test was Neg;
35 days Combo was Neg;
42 days Combo was Neg;
48 days Combo was Neg;
48 days RNA PCR was Neg;
50 days Combo was Neg;
54 days Combo was Neg;
54 days RNA PCR was Neg;
63 days Combo was Neg;
63 days RNA PCR was Neg;
(All tests are tested in lab)

It's 9 weeks now. Am I still have chance of HIV infected?

Please give me advice.

Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Advices given,No chance of HIV infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query.I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query
There is lots of anxiety associated with HIV .So many times we are made to repeat the tests to allay the fears and anxiety of patients.
You are a perfect example for anxious patient.
There is no need for you to undergo so many repeated tests every other 3rd day.
PCR test can come positive even after 3 days of infection if HIV infected. It is specific that 99.9% times it is sure in telling that you really do not have the disease at the time of testing.You have repeated it so many times.It detects presence of any HIV RNA material if present.
Combo is a Test which tells both Antigen and antibody to HIV are not present in your body at the time of testing.You have done repeatedly and proven that the system of testing comes the same and is negative.
So you should be happy for all the test results.
As of now i do not feel any necessity for you to undergo any test further.
You can totally allay the fears of HIV provided you do not have another exposure chance to HIV organism .
Hope you follow all the safety precaution from now to be free from such anxiety
you can get back to me for any clarifications
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 54 minutes later
Hi DR. Bharatesh,

Thanks for your reply! In the past 9 weeks...it's terrible moment in my life.
Anyway, Dr, am i rules out of HIV infected?
Do i still need the 12 weeks test?

Regards.
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need for test.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
You can totally allay the fears of HIV provided you do not have another exposure chance to HIV organism.
If you still insist then you get it done after 6 months or a year .
Just relax till then without any worries.Forget the incident.
You can get back to me for any clarifications else please close the discussion and rate.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 2 days later
Dr. Bharatesh,

Thanks for your reply!
But...why you suggest me test after 6 months or longer time later ? If i m not infected..,what's the point?
Sorey for my poor english skill

Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not necessary to undergo test.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
As i have told earlier I do not see any necessity for you to undergo any test as all tests are negative
As you were anxious to undergo test again and to remove fears which usually patients have I suggested 6 months or 1 year.
Otherwise you are totally free and not required to go for test again.
You can get back to me for any clarification else please close the discussion and rate
Lead a safe and happy life
Wish you good health
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh
Hi DR BHARATESH,
It's 10 weeks today, another combo test was done and result is NEG. A RNA test result will be ready bu tomorrow.

I know you must say i should not go for further test. But i just cannot stay away from the 12 weeks rule.
What can i do?
Can i stop here? Is it safe enough?
Or any recommendation from you again?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not needed.may be after 6 months.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
As I said earlier, There is lots of anxiety associated with HIV .So many times we are made to repeat the tests to allay the fears and anxiety of patients.
So i think you are not relieved with negative test again and you are already ready for next test even before the test results is declared.
I can make out the anxiety associated with the disease.
I would feel it is safe even now of not going with tests further.
Relax lead safe happy life.
2 weeks the result may not alter much also at this stage also.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh