What do these mammogram and breast ultrasound reports indicate?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Cancer
Question: Hello Doctor,
My age is 27 years. I recently observed a big lump in my left breast & went to Gynaec immediately.
This lump is not really painful but at times I do feel discomfort & sometimes like a needle pointing pain.
After having an initial check up, she suspected it to be benign but she still ordered for Diagnostic Mammogram & Breast Ultrasound.
But since my age is less than 30, the radiologists said that they will just perform the Breast Ultrasound.
I am yet to get the final reports but they shared the ultrasound images with me which I am attaching here.
Could you please have a look at the ultrasound images & let me know your opinion ?
Also, please suggest me the next steps what should be taken for its treatment.
I don't have any Cancer History in my family so far, at least not known to me.
I don't drink/smoke. My periods have been irregular since the beginning which usually is delayed by 5-15 days.
Please let me know if any other details are required from my end.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
looks like fibroadenoma

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I understand your concerns.

I have seen the images, it looks like a fibroadenoma. Fibroadenoma is a benign tumor, common in women of your age.

It may just be observed over time, or if causing discomfort, removed surgically. It is not a major surgery.

However, ultrasound should be reported by only the radiologist who has done it as most of the information can't be captured in the images. If the final report comes as suspicious for malignancy, then a biopsy will be required first.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 38 minutes later
hello Doctor,

Thanks for your prompt response.
Actually I am in US currently for a short term assignment & will be coming back to XXXXXXX in XXXXXXX I observed this lump 3 weeks back though it is around 5 cm in size.
Not sure how did I not notice it before.

My concern now is whether I should get it removed here in US itself or I should wait until I am back to XXXXXXX
Could you please suggest any good surgeons in XXXXXXX ?

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
probably you can wait

Detailed Answer:
If final report also suggestive of fibroadenoma, then you can wait. Also depends on the physician assessment.

You can consult Dr XXXXXXX at manipal hospital XXXXXXX once you come back.