What do these lab reports indicate?

Excellent

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Hello.... My son is 18 days and he got pus in his umbical cord... I have attached the report of CBC and CRP... Report of blood culture and pus culture are yet to come.. How's the CBC and CRP report ... is it normal ??
Mon, 28 May 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CBC and CRP reports do not look serious don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I have gone through all the reports which you have uploaded. The reports look like normal reports only. They are not suggestive of a very serious bacterial infection.

But as there is pus discharge and as you have already given the blood and pus for culture, I suggest that you start him on antibiotic therapy in consultation with your pediatrician.

If the cultures were negative then we will stop the antibiotics.

Hope this helps and please get back to me after you get the culture reports of the blood and pus.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: What do these lab reports indicate? 21 hours later
Mupi cream is prescribed... I need to apply both inside and outside baby's umbical cord or only outside

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Apply on the umbilical cord and at the opening of the cord also

Detailed Answer:
Hi... apply on the umbilical cord, around the naval area and also at the cut end of the stump of the umbilical cord also.

Can you get back to me once the culture reports are available. Initial culture reports will be available in 48 hours and the final reports will be available after 5 days of taking the sample.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: What do these lab reports indicate? 38 hours later
Hello Doctor... I have attached the pus culture report please tell what report says

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Mupirocin local application will suffice

Detailed Answer:
Hi... Thank you for getting back with the pus culture report.

From what I see, Mupirocin local application will suffice.

1. How is the baby's activity and feeding pattern?

2. Is there any fever?

3. is there any redness over the area around the umbilical cord?

4. What about the initial blood culture report which is expected in 2 days (anyhow final blood culture report will be available only after 5 days)?

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Follow-up: What do these lab reports indicate? 11 hours later
1. both are normal
2.no fever
3.no redness around umbilical cord
4. no initial blood report.. direct final report will b getting in 5 days..

once I start with mupirocin , how many days it will take to heal

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may take 2 to 5 days

Detailed Answer:
Hi... after starting Mupirocin, the healing will start in 2 to 5 days and by 7 days it will be completely healed. Do not worry about it.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Thanks... I have attached report of blood culture test...pus is Still coming from his umbical cord

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on umbilical sepsis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... Blood culture is sterile. You need not worry about giving oral antibiotic or parenteral antibiotic. I suggest you continue using Mupirocin ointment for another 2 days and if it is not settling kindly consult your local pediatrician, as this might turn out to be an umbilical granuloma and requiree cauterization.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth