• question-icon

What do these lab reports indicate?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hello Dr... this is XXXXXXX here.i am 33 years old and married. i m suffering from thyroid from 2015. i had abortion in 2015 may as my foetus was not growing and then later in XXXXXXX 2015 i had ectopic pregnancy cause of which one of fallopian tube has been removed. After few months of my operation i was diagonised by thyroid. It keeps on fluctuating. Currently i am taking Thyronorm 50 mcg tablet daily on empty stomach. I am attaching herewith my todays report and my last report which was taken in march'17 . My query is please let me know my thyroid state ...i am confused if it is worsen or it is improved and secind major concern is my weight gain i am weighing 87kg which was not the case bfore thyroid my weight was always between 65-70. I hav become obese now...please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About levothyroxine dose;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern and can understand your situation.
From the results attached, I can say that the last report is better than the previous one (if you are planing a third pregnancy).
As you may know, TSH level should be maintained under 2.5 mUi/ ml (0.4-2.5) if you are planing a pregnancy and be under close monitoring during pregnancy. Once you hape a positive pregnancy test, increase the dose by 30% because the needs for thyroid hormone during pregnancy are higher.
For the moment 50 mcg is the proper dose.
I would not blame thyroid for this huge weight gain, have you been taking other treatment (for pregnancy stimulation probably) during this period?
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 24 minutes later
No i was not taking any other treatment. only during pregnancy folic acid was given and few injection apart frok that no treatment as such. as of now not planning for third pregnancy as i hv to reduce my weight...pls suggest something through which i can reduce my weight
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diet and physical activity recommended;

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,
I do agree with your decision to loose weight before planning a pregnancy.
I would suggest to see a dietitian and follow a strict diet combined with physical activity 5 times a week.
Probably it has been a stressful period and there are people that manifest it with weight gain.
Cushing syndrome would be another cause of weight gain but your treating physician would have diagnosed it if there are other clinical features suggesting for Cushing.
Continue with 50 mcg of levothyroxine and check TSH once in 6 months.
Wish you good health!
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor. Appreciate your response. Just one last query doctor what is this Cushing Syndrome..how can i detect it.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
About Cushing syndrome:

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Cushing syndrome is a collection of signs and symptoms due to prolonged exposure to cortisol.
Signs and symptoms may include high blood pressure, weight gain with abdominal obesity but with thin arms and legs, reddish stretch marks, a round red face, a fat lump between the shoulders, weak muscles, weak bones, acne, and fragile skin that heals poorly. Women may have more hair and irregular menstruation.
It is easily recognized clinically, so as i mentioned above your treating physician would have suggest to check urinary cortisol level if there are suspicions for it.
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist