• question-icon

What do these lab reports indicate?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Infertility Problem
Question: Rspected Sir,
I am 40 years old and my wife is 35 years old having married life of 4 years. We are planning for a baby for last 3 years, but we have no issue till date. We have undergone for IUI treatment which succeeded in 2nd attempt (June,2016) however, we were forced to terminate the pregnancy after 4 months due to fetel anomaly for reasons unknown as per doctors. My semen analysis report (report attached) says that my sperm morphology is only 1% and doctors says that this may be the main cause of repeated failure in conceiving. Sir, I want to know that-
(i) Whether I should go for IUI again or
(ii) I should prefer IVF

I have attached all the reports. Waiting anxiously for an early reply.

Regards.
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, I think you should go for IVF.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, welcome to healthcaremagic.

I have seen all your reports. The main problem with your semen analysis is severe teratospermia. In that case, there are chances of abnormalities in baby even if you conceive naturally or by IUI.

In my opinion, it is better to undergo IVF with ICSI or IMSI for you. It will help in selecting the best sperm and to make good embryos.

It will reduce the risk of miscarriages and abnormality in baby.

Also, get a chromosomal analysis done for yourself.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any other query, I will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Khushboo Priya 26 hours later
Respected Madam,
Thanks for your valuable suggestions.
I wish to know that
(i)what is ICSI and IMSI. How it is different from each other and how it is different from normal IVF?
(ii) What is chromosomal test?Whether it is to be done both for me and my wife? How it is helpful in detecting abnormalities in baby?
(iii) Whether IUI will not be advisable for us?

Thanking you.
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
IUI will not be advisable.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I think IUI is not advisable in your case.

In IVF, sperms and egg are brought into contact. Sperm fertilizes egg naturally.

In ICSI, one sperm is selected by the embryologist and fertilized with egg manually. It is done under high magnification. Sperm with good morphology can be chosen. IMSI is same thing but magnification is much higher. So, the selection is better.

Regarding chromosomal analysis, I think only your analysis will be fine. It will tell you regarding any aneuploidy or other genetic defect in your sperm. It will help in deciding further treatment.

Discuss with your doctor regarding these things. Hope it helps.
Dr. Khushboo Priya

Infertility Specialist