• question-icon

What do these lab reports indicate?

Posted on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello, 

I have 19 Months kid, 3 months back he got sick with the problem of cold and cough and sound from chest.After the treatment he recovered well. During that time his pediatrician suggested some tests. In blood test it was found that his hemoglobin is very low and he prescribed iron tonic to him. we are giving him that tonic from last 3 months. After completion of 3 months we again done the blood test and now I want your advice on the report. For your reference I am attaching the report and other details of my kid

Age -19 Months

Gender - Male

Weight - 11.5 kg

Height  -  81.5 CM

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Iron deficiency anemia and a viral infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and have checked the attached reports. I understand your concerns. Let me assure you that most often the symptoms of cough and cold are due to viral infections and the blood counts indicate the same. Antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days.

Regarding the low hemoglobin levels, it is important to provide iron supplements. The peripheral blood smear points to iron deficiency anemia.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 30 minutes later
Thanks for addressing my query.at present my kid is healthy.I want to know your view on the attached report. is this report normal or any thing needs to take care. Should we continue iron tonic.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Iron deficiency anemia present

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. As I mentioned:
* The blood counts are normal and not a cause for concern.
* There is evidence of iron deficiency anemia and you need to continue the iron tonic.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician