• question-icon

What do these lab reports indicate?

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: hi,

Iam 29 year old obese guy weighing 114kgs and 5 feet 11 inches in height.

one year a ago I took echo for chest pain everything was normal except echo had

Mild tr/ph tr jet 2.8 rvsp 30+rap

doctor told everything was normal. I was really scared after reading online. from that time was despressed put on weight I was around 107 now 114 kgs took lot of echos after that including with same doctor all of the report had no tr or rvsp values this is my latest echo taken after one yaer
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Both Echocardiography and ECG reports attached are within normal limits.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, I am Dr. Mody and I would be addressing your concern.

As I start I would like to reassure you that both your recent Echocardiograph and even the ECG is perfectly within normal limits. There is no TR or PH in the present Echo. Also, the Ecg has no evidence for the same.

Now coming to the previous echocardiography report where mild TR was present and RV pressure is 30.
One explanation for the same is you being overweight, this puts extra pressure on the lungs to expand each time you take a breath, and so due to this restrictive physiology one may have Mild TR. Your loosing weight has reversed the increase in lung pressure which was the cause of Tricuspid regurgitation ( TR), leading to the disappearance of TR.

So continue diet modification and exercise till you achieve your weight at least in 90 's for overall health benefit.

Hopefully, I could help you.
Let me know if any clarification is needed and I would be happy to help.

Dr.Priyank Mody

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Priyank Mody 38 minutes later
sir
actually due to depression I have put on more weight
I was 107 at that time now 114
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have to lose weight

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
Sorry for the mis- understanding.

I would break down my answer into two parts.
1) The reason why Echo showed mild TR.
Mild TR can be physiological as your doctor have suggested and it is of no clinical significance, it will not affect your lifespan or lifestyle in anyway. So be reassured and don't keep thinking for the same. As I said the only plausible reason in a 29 year healthy person who is overweight and which could change over time was the extra kilos. As by losing the same, one can reverse the mild pulmonary hypertension.

2) Now coming to the serial echo and how it showed variable results.
2d echocardiography is highly subjective and is dependent on the skills of the person doing it. Also as mild or trivial TR is not significant Clinically, many echocadiographer may not report the same. Repeating it wouldn't change anything.

Last and most important thing. You have to loose weight. Depression itself and even medicine for depression would increase weight, by multiple mechanism like increase in appetite, retaining water and decrease in exercise.
I don't know the reason for your depression, but you are a young guy, Fight it out. Get back to life, start going out, meet new people, learn about their life and it would help you.

Let me know if any clarification is needed and i would be happy to clarify.

Regards Dr.Priyank Mody
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Priyank Mody

Cardiologist