• question-icon

What do these lab reports indicate?

Posted on Mon, 21 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Issue: Decreasing platelets with no fever

I had fever from 9th XXXXXXX to 12th XXXXXXX in the region of 101-2.
On 11th XXXXXXX I had running nose but this stopped that day.
I had cough from 10th XXXXXXX and it continues till date. This is intermittent not regular.

During 9th to 10th I did not take any medicines.
11th and 12th I took Advanced Crocin whenever there was fever.
From 12th Night I started taking Amoxycillin 500 and by now have taken 6 tablets.
From 13th morning I have no fever.

On 12th I did the first set of reports.
(See attached for CBC Malaria and Dengue. Malaria and Dengue (both IgM and NS1) are NEGATIVE.)
Today 15th XXXXXXX I did CBC and find that the WBC and Platelet have reduced!

What needs to be done next?

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Viral infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. I have checked the attached reports and it is quite apparent that the symptoms are due to a viral infection and nothing else. Antibiotics like amoxycillin are ineffective in such cases and it is a very bad practice to use antibiotics indiscriminately like this. Irrespective of treatment, the viral infections are self limiting and usually resolve in a week or so. Often such viral infections manifest with fever. It is good to know that the fever has subsided. If you have a temperature more than 100°F, you need to take paracetamol (Crocin or Calpol) to it bring down. Also use tepid sponging.

You may take some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for the next few days in order to control the runny nose.

Please be patient. It may take a few days for the recovery to occur. It should spontaneously resolve in 5-7 days.

Hopefully that would help. Feel free to write back in case of further queries.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 8 hours later
Please reply to my query on decreasing platelets.

I don't need a lecture on viral and indiscriminate etc

Antibiotics were started based on diagnosis and recommendation of doctor on this platform (screenshot attached file name: healthcare evaln)

I have no runny nose so dont need advice on this

My current situation: cough (feel it wet inside my chest) no fever (from 13th) very dizzy

What should be done of the decreasing platelets?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to drink plenty of water.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. A platelet count of 1.32 lakh and 1.23 lakh are practically within the same range and does not really count as a significant decrease. Unless the platelet count drops below 80,000 or unless you develop petechial spots and bleeding tendencies nothing needs to be done about it. Carica papaya extract is claimed to raise platelet counts but I doubt if that in required.

In any case you need to drink plenty of water. Proper hydration is to be ensured if there is a possibility of decrease in platelet count. Taking ORS (oral rehydration solution) would also help in preventing your dizziness.

Steam inhalation would be the mainstay of treatment for your cough.

As I mentioned, irrespective of treatments the symptoms would last for 5-7 days. You would have to be patient.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha