What do these lab reports indicate?

Posted on Fri, 7 Jul 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Dear doctor
I went for a health check up recently. I could observe a few parameters beyond the level like cholestrol and vitamin d3. I need your opinion should i take any medicine at these levels or do some exercise regularly. My age is 33.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mostly a normal report

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have seen all the reports. All is normal except for low vitamin D, low folate and high LDL cholesterol.

Regarding low vitamin D, start vitamin D supplements. It is available under many brand names like calcikind, calcirol, etc. It contains 60,000 IU of vitamin D. It is available as XXXXXXX of granules that are to be taken by mixing with milk. Take it once a week for 4 weeks and then once in 2 weeks for next 2 months.

Recheck the vitamin D levels after 4-5 months.

Regarding lipid profile, your LDL levels are elevated. Lipid lowering medicines are to be started when LDL is more than 190. In your case it is less than 190. So I will suggest that you follow lifestyle measures rigorously for 6 months. Lifestyle measures include low fat diet, daily exercise, stress free living.

In diet exclude high calorie foods like cheese, butter, ghee, cream, icecream, sweets, chocolates, etc. Also take low salt, low sugar, low oil diet. Take more of fruits and salad.

Regular exercise of atleast 30 min per day is must. It can include swimming, cycling, jogging, gym, yoga, etc.

Your folate levels are also low which may manifest as anemia at later date. Your iron levels are normal. You can take folic acid supplement in dose of 5mg per day for atleast 3 months. Recheck after 4-5 months. Folic acid is available under many brands like foldivit, Fol-5, etc.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 55 minutes later
Thanks a lot doctor for your valuable advice. I shall follow the process and update you with status after 6 months.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
Yes, you can followup with your reports in 6 months.

Dr Vaishalee
Dr. Vaishalee Punj