What do these following ultrasound and FNA findings indicate?

Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Dear doctor , I hope u r doing well ,I have had a benign nodul in my thyroid 2 years ago, and last week I did ultra sound and biopsy which comes as suspiois of PTC , please let me frankly is it cancer or still there is chance to be benign and what is the other result may I got after removing thyroid is that sure cance or maybe somthing else, is really there is some mimicking of some other cells , and if the answer is yes , is that really possible in the biopsy ?? Last I did within the two years 3. Ultra sound which came as guitar and Difussly guitar , but Kay one ( I attached) not shown that guitar. Tks in advance best regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The result of FNA gives the diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
I have gone through your query and understood your concern.

I saw your ultrasound and FNA results.
Thyroid ultrasound is the major diagnostic modality for evaluating thyroid nodules.
Several Ultrasound features, such as marked hypoechogenicity, irregular margin, microcalcifications are potential predictors for the presence of thyroid malignancies.

One nodule in the left thyroid lobe has some ultrasound suspicious features for malignancy and the fine needle aspiration biopsy result confirm this result.

If you want to be sure for the FNA result, you can repeat the FNA in another lab.

If the result is the same, my advice is to consult an endocrinological surgeon in your area because the recommendations in these cases are for subtotal or total thyroidectomy (according to tumor dimensions and expansion.)

So, don't worry, removing the entire thyroid will provide a good chance of cure and a low rate of clinical tumor recurrence.

Hope i have answered to your questions.
If you have other doubts, feel free and ask. I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee