What do these following lab reports indicate?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: My Wife visited our family doctor and was advised to go through the test as attached. She was advised by Doctor to take the medicines (listed below in Current Medication section) for 5 days and then revisit. Doc also advised to take 5 days bed rest and to have only Bread and Milk, Fruit and Juices and not to take bath for 5 days.

Could you please
Kindly go through the attached reports and the information provided above regarding the family doctor suggestion and provide your inputs.
1. Is this a Viral Fever / Typhoid.
2. Should she undergo any other test.
3. Should she take medicines other than the one prescribed above.

Please advice.

XXXX
0000
Answered by Dr. Prasad 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Inconclusive report....

Detailed Answer:

It would have been better if you listed her symptoms before the tests were performed. I look forward to the details of her symptoms in the follow up.

As far as the test reports are concerned, the following are my observations:
1. Complete blood picture report revealed borderline anemia that may be due to bleeding / iron deficiency.
2. A high ESR probably secondary to anemia as well as current infection.
3. Widal is reported as positive. However it still is inconclusive to me.
Though Widal tests is specific for typhoid, a single widal report is not sufficient to confirm / rule out typhoid. Moreover widal is not the gold standard test to diagnose typhoid in the first week of infection.
4. Urine routine examination revealed slightly elevated wbc numbers. I am not sure if its significant or not without her history.

According to this analysis, answers to your questions are as follows:
1. The nature of infection is not clear to me without her history.
2. She may need more tests as repeat widal, urine culture or blood culture depending on her symptoms as response to current medications.
3. As of now, she can continue the drugs prescribed. I would add vitamin supplements to the list. Adequate rest, plenty of fluids and fresh fruits/vegetables are recommended.

Hope this answered your question. Look forwards to her symptoms and history.