What do these following herpes blood test reports indicate?

Dr. Manish Purohit

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: After really, really rough sex with my long term boyfriend of almost a year, a few days later I began having yellow discharge and then i felt pain inside my vagina. I went to see a nurse who examined me and told me I was torn, she said the tear was filled with pus that was leaking out, and infected with bacteria. I had blood work done for precaution for hsv-1 and hsv-2 igG. the hsv-2 was negative and the hsv-1 igG was positive. the culture from the swab isolated hsv-1. I used to get very frequent cold sores years ago. but after time it stopped and has never happened again. I'm wondering if the antibodies of previous oral hsv-1 infections can be detected in the secretions, leading to the culture reports. I appreciate your help so much
Answered by Dr. Manish Purohit 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no need to be worried .

Detailed Answer:
dear mam ,
first I apologise for delay in replying to your query .
I have gone through your case history and all reports and foumd :
1. your current clinical picture donot match with herpes infection and usually herpes 2 causes vaginal infection .
2. Presence of IgG indicate infection in the past . presence of IgM is indicative of acute infection . but you have not been tested forIgM .
3. your 3rd report is found positive for chlamydia infection ,and your clinical picture is also goes in favour of that infection .
so in my opinion
1. herpes is not the causetive factor this time
2. herpes is found in your vagina because of previous infection .
3. chlamydia trachomatis may be responsible for your present complaaint as it is also transmitted sexually .
so no need to be worried as it can be treated using antibiotics . Tetracycllin group of drugs are usually effective . I suggest you to take complete cource of medicine under guidence of your local gynecologist and keep precaution to prevent its spread and reinfection .
thanks and feel free to ask if any query .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Manish Purohit 5 hours later
thank you for your response. which test report showed chlamydia?

also, is it possible that the culture came back positive because the virus is already in my body due to previous oral hsv-1 infections? hence the igG?

thank you doctor.
Answered by Dr. Manish Purohit 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dear mam again sorry for delay in reply.

Detailed Answer:
dear mam your 8nvestivation for swab:aamplified CT/GC combo showing positive result for CT i.e.for chlamydia trachomatis.
second it is rare but possible to isolte HSV1 from vagina . it could be becaause of past oral infection and also IgG is present .
hope it will help you . feel free to ask if any query.
wish you a good health .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Manish Purohit 45 hours later
thank you for your help. you are very informative. So if someone has had oral hsv-1, the virus is now inside your body. Is that why the culture showed hsv-1? because the virus/antibody was already in my body from previous oral outbreaks? thank you for your help doctor.
Answered by Dr. Manish Purohit 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dear mam sorry for delay in reply .

Detailed Answer:
dear mam
it is possible to isolate virus as you are having history of imfection with HSV 1 . once virus enter inside body it causes imfection / disease and goes in to latency inside nerve ganglia . but before reaching to that site it can be isolated .
IgG antibody once develope persist for years inside body .
hope it will help you .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Manish Purohit 4 hours later
OK thank you. So due right previous oral outbreaks, the virus can be isolated from other secretions.

also, can a culture isolate antibodies?
Answered by Dr. Manish Purohit 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is because of past infection .

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Virus causes infection to oral and vaginal site so commonly it is isolated from these area . its presence in other secretion is a rare possibility.

Antibodies can not be isolated from culture, it can only be detected by serological methods from serum .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee