What do these following blood and MRI scan reports indicate?

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello,
My father was suffering from imbalance and little memory problem, we contacted a neurologist and he suggested MRI scan and Blood test. Blood test report is normal but in MRI Scan report says as following:
A fairly well defined nonenhancing soft tissue lesion appearing hyperintense on T1 and FLAIR images
and isointense on T1W1 noted involving the third ventricle measuring 2.6 x 2.1 x 2.3cms in CS and CC dimension respectivly. The lesion shows T1 on FLAIR hypointense and T1 hyperintense component mesuring 1.6 and 0.9cms within the lesion showing susceptibility artifacts on GRE sequences. No evidence of restricted diffusion within lesion
There is mass effect and resultant mild obstructive hydrocephalus and periventriclur CSF ooze

Impression:
A Fairly well defined nonenchanging soft tissue lesion involving the third ventricle with mass effect and resultant mild obstructive hydrocephalus with preiventricular CSF ooze as
Described - Suggest Possible Colloid Cyst

does he need any urgent medical emergency please suggest.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgical therapy is a must.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I understand your concern.

I have gone through the attached MRI report in detail.

The symptoms in his case are directly related to the mass effect of the colloidal cyst.

Colloid cysts are non-neoplastic epithelium-lined cysts of the central nervous system that almost always arise from the anterior third ventricle roof.

In many cases, these cysts stay silent and will not cause any discomfort. But, sometimes they can cause symptoms like headache , memory disturbances and gait disorders.

Surgery is the best form of therapy when colloidal cyst causes hydrocephalus.

Minimally access surgeries are now available which can safely remove the cyst and reverse hydrocephalus.

You need to consult a Neurosurgeon at the earliest to seek surgical intervention.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar