What do these following biopsy findings indicate?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Patient going on dialysis from last 2 month.
We have undergone kidney biopsy also .Report attached. Report showing kappa 3 +.Doctor saying its abnormal protein. Now doctor suggest us for bone marrow.Now my question does it necessary we have to go for bone marrow.

Hello Dr.

I am attaching patient blood report & kidney biopsy report.

Kindly answer my below query:-
1) what are main cause of abnormal light chain proteins & does it curable? Is it stuck in our kidney filter & resulted kidney not able to purify blood properly.

2)what extra information I will get from marrow biopsy.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for posting your question on HealthcareMagic.
Kappa proteins are abnormal light chain proteins which are seen in cases like Multiple Myeloma which could be the cause of your renal failure also.
Hence I would recommend you to proceed for the bone marrow biopsy .

Hope this helps
Best wishes

Brief Answer:
Ok

Detailed Answer:
Hello again, reviewed your reports the kidney biopsy is negative which is all the more reason why you should go in for a bone marrow biopsy as multiple myeloma may be the cause of patients kidney failure.
Many cause of seeing light chain proteins in urine are plasma cell dyscrasias like Multiple Myeloma.
The age of the patient is relatively less hence bone Marrow transplant can be performed if positive.
Otherwise chemotherapy may have to be given .
.Hope this helps
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy