What do these following X-ray and CT scan reports indicate?

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Since start of the year I use to wake up mid night and my throat use to be extremely dry. I also had some blood spotting in the nasal discharge. A couple of throat infections in 2-3 months. When I consulted and ENT after a X Ray and CT he said it was because of DNS and would need a surgery (Reports attached). I had a Surgery on 7th May. Since then I believe I am breathing better and do not have mouth dryness. However even after 4 months my left nostril is blocked most of the times. When I sleep on the left side my nose gets blocked. I try and sleep on the right side and with 2 pillow so my head is raised. Still I would wake after 2-3 hrs. Its been 4 months I have not slept for the more than 3 hrs at a stretch. Past couple of months I have been using Duonase. Also had 1 week of Omnacortil. I have done a few followups with the surgeon. I am worried as he mentions the blockage is because of allergies and would need life long treatment. Asked me to change the nasal spray to Awamys. I am not sure if I had these problems (allergies) earlier as I never used any of the nasal sprays or even cold medicines.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to life long treatment even in allergic rhinitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your question, X ray report, CT Scan report & prescription and understand your concern; and I would like to inform that no need to lifelong treatment even in allergic condition.

If your condition is improving after the above mentioned treatment then I would like to suggest that continue the same treatment for at least 6 month with Nasoclear nasal wash once a day except for the Omnacortil.. Otherwise you may go for the serological test for allergens and treatment according to the test result.

I would also like to inform that management of allergic rhinitis consists of 3 major categories of treatment,

1. Environmental control measures and allergen avoidance,
2. Pharmacological management, and
3. Immunotherapy.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Thank you for the answer. I am not taking omnacortil now. it was only for 7 days 1 month ago.

I have a couple of questions
1. Is the allergic rhinitis a result from the surgery.
2. My sleep problem, is it Physcological or related to the Surgery / AR
3. I have been using Duonase (corticosteroid) for 2 months and would continue. What are ill effects of extended usage on these medicines. I have read that they reduce immunity for other infections.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergic rhinitis is not a result from the surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your follow up questions and understand your concern.
I would like to answers of your questions as
1. Allergic rhinitis is not a result from the surgery.
2. Your sleep problem also not related to the surgery; it most probably related to the physiological conditions.
3. I would like to inform that topical spray have much less side effect in comparison to systemic steroid.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar