What do these following MCUG test, ultrasound and DMSA scan reports indicate?
Baby currently under Trimethoprim antibiotics.
Three tests prescribed by Pediatric consultant:
1) MCUG (Micturating cystourethrogram) test done - Negative results(No issues)
2) Ultrasound result: both kidneys are normal in size. On the left the collecting system is very mildly dilated and there is mild dilation of the renal pelvis which measures 8 mm.slight prominence of the upper left ureter is noted. No cortical scarring is seen. Bladder looks normal and no lower ureteric dilation seen.
Very mild left pelvicalyceal dilation noted.
3) DMSA scan due in january
Please help on what's the treatment options and impacts and reasons for this condition?
No intervention needed
Thanks for getting back. I understand your concern and here are my interpretations
1. Mild dilatation at this age requires no intervention most children will grow out of it by the age of 2 years
2. It is good news that the MCU is normal, it rules of reflux nephropathy. If I were to be your doctor then I would not have put on prophylaxis until second infection, however there is no harm in prophylaxis as well
3. Getting the DMSA is a good decision, it will rule out damage to the kidneys
Long term prognosis is good and I dont think there will be any long term consequences with this report however please be sure to go for regular follow ups with your doctor.
I hope I was of help, please get back to me for any further queries
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Dmsa scan side effects
- Dmsa scan and pregnancy
- Got my ultrasound report what does it indicate
- Renal dmsa scan
- What is a dmsa scan
- What does the kidney ultrasound report indicate
- Gynecology ultrasound done what does the report indicate
- Dmsa scan in penang
- Pregnant and had a dmsa scan
- Ultrasound scan what does the report indicate
- Suggest remedy for flow of semen in urine
- Are androgen receptors always present in androgen target tissues by birth?
- Should Ecosprin intake be continued when cholesterol is 210?
- Does frequent fatigue indicative of thyroid problem?
- What causes severe headaches?
- What causes sudden explosive sound in mouth?
- What does scars around foreskin after masturbation indicate?
- Suggest treatment for pain due to UTI
- How long does it take for liver enzymes to be normal in a recovering...
- What causes nausea and cold sweats after taking Tami Flu?