What do these following LFT and CBC reports indicate?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi doctor, few days back I have pain in right side of upper abdomen. It is ok now but I gone for LFT test .
attached is LFT report, pls suggest is it ok or prescribe medicine if required.
I take 3 to 4 drinks normally 5 days in a week.
What preventive measures should I take to minimise the alchol effect.

Attached is the CBC report of my wife age 35. pls suggest if all parameter are ok. Regards
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow the advises.. maintain a healthy lifestyle..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome back to HealthcareMagic,

I've gone through both of your reports..

Your wife's CBC is indicative of borderline low hemoglobin with nutritional deficiency, which needs further thorough work up in the first place.. she needs to be physically examined by an Internal Medicine specialist in the first place along with few other detailed investigations (eg. Peripheral blood smear, LFT, KFT, Iron profile with reticulocyte counts,Vit-B12 and folic acid levels )..

Now coming to your query, there's a mild elevation of the bilirubin levels and GGT and Alkaline phosphatase (the SGPT level is not elevated enough to be considered relevant).. all of which can be secondary to the alcohol consumption..

I can see that you've already been diagnosed with fatty liver in the past, so this is extremely important for you to COMPLETELY STOP those drinks at the earliest, that is the only way to completely heal and recover..

Also it'll be worthwhile to consider getting another Repeat USG of whole abdomen along with a fibro-scan of liver done to check the present status..along with this you need to get few more blood investigations done (eg. complete hemogram with peripheral blood smear, ESR, serum Amylase & Lipase, serum Calcium and Vit-D3 levels, FBS, PPBS and HbA1C, urea and Creatinine)..all these are necessary to analyse the complete present scenario..

I'd request you to consult a Gastroenterologist along with these, and to be under continuous follow-up of him/her as clinical examination is extremely important to keep a check on your progress and future well being too..

As such, there's no urgent need for these, so you can plan accordingly as these are going to yield future benefits and well being..

It's good that pain is settled for now.. No specific medication is needed until complete evaluation..if there's any acidity/burning stomach problems, please take a PPI/antacid combination eg. Pantoprazole 40mg once daily in the morning 10-15 min before breakfast..

Eat healthy, no outside/junk foods strictly, avoid red meat if you're a non-vegetarian.. drink a lot of water through out the day.. have plenty of fresh fruits and try to replace your regular wheat/flour containing foods to whole wheat/multigrain foods..

I've tried to make it as simple as possible for you to understand, feel free to get back to me in case of any further doubts.. [please also note in future, try to put down one query related to one person at a time, it's always better to put two different queries for two separate persons not only to avoid any confusions, but also separate specific advises related to different relevant specialities]

Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 33 hours later
Thanks doc, I will go for usg of whole abdomen and then consult u. but as far.as LFT report is concerned how is lever functioning right now?
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow the Advises Completely as already explained in details..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome back,

As of now, as per this report, there's a mild derangement of the liver function, however complete physical examination should be done under a Gastroenterologist to get a complete idea about it (as liver dysfunction can result in multiple associated systemic disorders, which can only be ascertained after a thorough clinical examination and investigations as already mentioned earlier)..

Don't just get the ultrasound done, please get along with the thorough plan of investigations and management accordingly under the Gastroenterologist as already explained..

Yes, do keep me updated on the progress in the due course..

Take Care
Kind Regards

For future reference, you can always get in touch with me, below is my Direct follow-up link through which you can contact me directly anytime anywhere, I'll be happy to help -

http://www.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=71041