What do these digital rectal examination and CT urogram reports indicate?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: The noticeable bleeding stopped after 1 day, but the urine test (2 days after I first saw the blood) picked up on a small amount of occult blood.

The blood work came back all OK (many tests) and my PSA was 3.6. The urologist couldn't find anything wrong with the DRE (no hard spots). He sent a specimen of my urine out for analysis.

I had a CT Urogram last week and am still waiting to speak with the urologist who ordered the test. A courtesy copy was sent to my family doctor who said that my kidneys were fine (no stones) as was my colon. My prostate is enlarged (I already knew this). There were no masses detected. I tried to get more info, but the nurse said that the 'protocol' was to speak with the urologist who ordered the tests which I'll do this week.

For the last 6 months or so, I had been experiencing some minor difficulty when urinating in the middle of the night. It was sometimes hard to empty the bladder unless I took a walk downstairs. There was also some very minor burning sometimes.

However, now I have no problems when I urinate in the early morning - none whatsoever. I wonder if I may have passed a bladder stone which may have caused some prostate bleeding (urethra?). I guess that I'll find out soon and will let you know.

I've been drinking more water these days and there's no more burning. As far as I know, I never had a urinary tract infection.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Good to know the progress.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for the feedback.
I is good that DRE was normal and CT Urogram says that the kidneys are fine, no stones, colon normal, prostate is enlarged, and no masses.

Well, let us see what the urologist has to say.
Yes a small stone passing might have caused the problem.

The whole idea is to rule out cancer first and that is being done and I hope the reports all are normal.
The bleeding could have been just idiopathic.

Please keep me posted the results and opinion of the Urologist.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon