What do these cortisol levels indicate?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I got the results of low cortisol ( low all day)
7.0 reading in the morning
2.0 midday
0.3 Cortisol afternoon
Cortisol evening 0.1

DHEA mornign was 45.4
dhea/cortisol am was 6.49
Does this mean i am recovering from adrenal fatigue or what stage am i in? I do not feel like i have many symptoms except for recurring colds and asthma and allergies ( have had this for many years
I also had high histamine and pyrrole so i am taking vitamins for that.
I have since changed my lifestyle a little bit and eliminated some stressors but i was wondering what stage would you think AND if it is a bad idea if i planned to go over seas in august in 11 weeks to compete in a competition for fitness modelling which would mean gym and restricted diet ( but all healthy) i don't have coffee
I don't want to make matters worse by going
I didn't go to doctors cuz i had any symptoms....
I have also been on steroids twice this year for chest infections
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cortisol

Detailed Answer:
Adrenal matters can be complex to handle. But endocrinologists are best qualified to manage these problems.

Your morning cortisol is on the lower side. That is the main thing that needs to investigated thoroughly first before addressing other parameters. The reason is that if you do not have adrenal insufficiency, other tests are not necessary to explore this any further.

When I see someone like you in my practice, I order the following tests in addition to a thorough physical examination :

CBC
Electrolytes
Glucose
Calcium
Kidney function tests
Liver function tests
25 hydroxy vitamin D
TSH
Free T4
ACTH stimulation test

Whether or not you are fit for the training assignment will depend on the outcome of these tests

Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
They were all in the normal parameters.
did you see my results for the cortisol? I send through the report?
i have copies of all my bloods can i email you directly?

TSH was 2.0 on 20.4.15
Free t4 was 14.1 same date
Free t3 was 3.3 on the same date
DHEAS 3.3 ON SAME DATE

liver

globulin 27
t bilirubin 12
c biilirubin ( didn't test)
ALP- 53
AST 23

Fast glucose was 4.5

kidney all parameters were in the range except for my creatine which was 103 ( always is quite high i have a duplex kidney)

Electrolytes sodium potassium, chloride, bicarbonate anion gap all in normal parameters
I have seen an endocronoligst when i got a scan on my neck and the said i had a nodule, anyways i saw the endocrinologist ( before i got my cortisol results) and she said i was healthy as

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
I have reviewed the attached results in detail. I had earlier seen the cortisol report as well.

Adrenal fatigue is not a scientific diagnosis. The endocrine community worldwide has not endorsed this entity. It is a myth.

The real medical condition in the context of your laboratory results is adrenal insufficiency which must be ruled out by conducting an ACTH stimulation test.

Please see your endocrinologist and jointly consider this option.

Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 7 minutes later
OK do you think that i need to see the endocrinologist my doctor wasn't that concerned just said i needed to stress less. Do you think the parameters of my other results means i should be seeing an endocrinologist?
As last time i went for a thyroid nodule cost 565 dollars for a consult to be told i was fine.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Second follow up

Detailed Answer:
Yes it is important you get a systematic assessment by an endocrinologist
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist