What do these blood reports for fever indicate?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: Please see the report and current medication. Should we admit him to a hospital. Fever is not going down. After few hours he is getting fever again.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please reattach the reports

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for choosing this platform

High grade fever with cough and cold can be due to infection of throat or chest.
In chest infection there is associated breathing difficulty which is absent in throat infection.Most of the time fever persists for 3-4 days in throat infection but if fever prolongs investigation should be done and chest infection should also be ruled out.

Sorry to say but I am not able to find the attached reports.
I request you to attach the reports so that I better able to help you out.

Waiting for your response.
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 8 minutes later
I posted the report again.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Reports suggest infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for attaching the reports

I have gone through the reports and prescription.
Reports show raised total leukocyte count about 28000(neutrophilic predominance 66%),raised C reactive protein.Both these indicates bacterial infection.
Also the hemoglobin level is low with microcytic hypochromic picture.This indicates anemia most probably due to iron deficiency.
Here i/v/o fever lasting more than 4 days and blood report showing bacterial infection;I would like to send a blood culture(to find out the organism causing the infection) and to start broad spectrum antibiotic oral/injection(depending on general condition).
Widal test and urine test is normal so typhoid and urinary infection has been ruled out.
Although the most common cause of microcytic hypochromic anemia is iron deficiency.It is better to get iron profile done to confirm the diagnosis.
Iron deficiency anemia is treated well with iron supplementation.Iron supplementation is to be done once the infection subsides.

Your doctor has prescribed ofloxacin which is an antibiotic with cetrizine antiallergic.If fever persists even after 48 hours of medication or if general condition deteriorates,I would request to get him reevaluated and upgradation of treatment accordingly.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
Wishing for your baby's speedy recovery.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you Doctor!

so no further medication is necessary. Do you think Ofloxacin is enough for now?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
treatment should be based on clinical evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

In medical field one should not chase the report and the reports must be correlated with clinical evaluation.
If the child is clinically stable that is if he is accepting feeds, active and alert;one can observe him closely with oral antibiotic like ofloxacin.But if the general condition is sick it would be better to give injections.
As per the prescription and your description I concluded that the child is not very sick and a trial of oral antibiotic can be given with close watch on general health.
If general health deteriorates immediate physician consultation should be taken with management accordingly.