What do these blood pressure readings indicate?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My blood pressure is 178 over 102 on my right arm and 172 over 98 on my left is this a emergence
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your blood pressure values are above the normal ranges.

The difference in blood pressure between the two arms is quite normal, because of the anatomical features of the arteries. It happens in every individual.

Regarding your blood pressure I would recommend you to consult with your doctor and perform some tests ( complete blood count, thyroid hormone levels, blood electrolytes, fasting glucose, kidney and liver function tests, inflammation tests) to investigate for other secondary causes of high blood pressure.

A single value is not enough to conclude about uncontrolled hypertension.

That is why I recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure frequently during the day and refer those values to your doctor.

Meanwhile I recommend you to avoid physical activity. Have some rest.

If your blood pressure continues in these values, you may need to go to the ER.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri