What do these blood glucose levels indicate?

Dr. Praveen Jeyapathy

Diabetologist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: What are levels of concern for diabetes. I have had foot and hand numbing and Friday night i felt like i needed to vomit after eating too much sweets. The combo got me to question if i may be diabetic or pre diabetic. I have taken a few glucose tests.

1. Lunch yesterday: 1 hour after eating. I had a level of 110

2 this morning fasting level was 101

3 lunch. One hour after eating, i took the test twice. The first time it came back at 134 and when i repeated it a couple minutes later, it was 143. This seems odd so i will continue to monitor. The strips i had also expired last month so im not sure if that will be skew results so i went out and purchased new strips.

Questions.

Are the levels alarming?
Do the results definitely indicate pre diabetes?
What are the recommended next steps?
Is it true that with proper diet and exercise, i can avoid getting diabetes?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jeyapathy 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need a venous sample for confirmation

Detailed Answer:
Hello there. Thanks for writing to hcm. Noted your concern. Well your values are not alarmingly high. Just the fasting level of 101 and the post meal of 143 is slightly out if range. The strips if expired may give erroneous results. In my opinion if you want to know about your diabetes status accurately you should consider doing a two hr 75 gm glucose tolerance test and a Hba1c which gives three month average results. Normal fasting less than 100. 100-126 prediabetes. More than 126 diabetes. Normal two hr post glucose less than 140. 140-199 prediabetes. More than 200 diabetes. Hba1c less than 5.7 is normal. 5.7-6.4 pre diabetes. More than 6.5 diabetes. I will be happy to clarify with your reports. Yes. Diabetes can be prevented. Loss of weight if abt 7% from current weight, eating less refined sugars and exercising for 30 minutes daily are the interventions needed. Hope this helps. Take care. Warm regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Jeyapathy 16 hours later
Very helpful. I will try to find the tests you recommend. I took a test after eating last night and it was in the acceptable range. What has me unsure is that the fasting tests are high. I took 6 this morning and
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jeyapathy 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fasting high-possible pre diabetes

Detailed Answer:
Hi again. The liver produces glucose at night after we sleep for the functioning of the brain. The fasting glucose is the sugar the liver has produced. Its controlled finely by the action of insulin to a level less than 100. When it exceeds 100 it signals poor control of insulin over the release of glucose from the liver. Your value indicates pre diabetes. Kindly do the tests. I will be glad to review you again. One thing to rememver is not to alter your diet pattern or exercise until you do the GTT and Hba1c. Take care. Warm regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Jeyapathy 6 hours later
Great news. I took the aic test and it came back at 5.4. I cant find an over the counter GTT.

I also took another post meal test (1 hour) and it came back at 131.

Since my fasting tests are showing pre diabetes should i do anything else? Again, yesterday was 101 but today was 114. My instinct is to just continue the morning fast tests for the week and ensure that I am upping my exercise. Lowering body weight and minimizing refined sugars (per your suggestion). I am usually one to run to the doctor but think this approach will work for no. Thoughts?

Thank
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jeyapathy 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
A1c looks fine

Detailed Answer:
Hi again. That's a good idea. However I would like to add that GTT is the most sensitive test among all in diagnosing diabetes and it would be apt to do it prior to starting any form of intervention. That being said at the end of the day all this is done to find out where you stand healthwise but at the end of the day the advise to go on a good diet and exercise regimen will remain the same. The only difference would be that if your gtt is leading into the diabetic range you will be advised to take medications in addition to this as evidence points that to be a better thing in the long term. Take care. Regards.