What do these X-ray findings indicate?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Dear Sirs,
I recently had this xray attached , could you please tell me what i should do as i feel continuous pain in my left leg and don't know why
my back always hurts and i cannot carry anything heavy
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Disc prolapse likely.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the attached X-rays. There is reduced disc space at the level of L3-L4-L5. This is suggestive of a disc prolapse. An MRI scan will detect the extent of nerve root compression that you have.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( dont repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food.
• Avoid forward bending.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.
Vitamin B12 supplements & Pregabalin may be helpful in controlling the neuropathic pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T