What do these Vitamin D levels indicate?

Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 16 Jan 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My Vitamin D (total)25-OH level is 10.1 mg/dl, Age is 40 should i start calcium tab , pls suggest
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Start on vitamin D supplement

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Your Vitamin D is less. Calcium is in normal range though lower side of normal. So don't worry for that. Daily take one glass of milk. It will take care of calcium levels.

For Vitamin D deficiency the cause needs to be found out. The treatment is treating the cause and taking supplement. I suggest you to discuss this with your doctor. It's not an emergency. You may start the supplement within a week.

I suggest you to start Vitamin D3 6000IU per day after confirming the same from your doctor.

The causes of Vitamin D deficiency are mostly lack of sunlight exposure, drugs and obesity which needs to be found out.

Hope I have answered your query. If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr Deepika Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Deepika Patil 30 minutes later
Thanks for reply,

I drink one glass of Milk everyday and yes Sunlight Exposure is less, what time is best for taking Sunbath and Tab should be taken before meal or after meal.
can u also suggest brand if possible
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue milk

Detailed Answer:

Continue milk. That much will give you adequate calcium. I also suggest you eat lots pf fruits and green vegetables

Sun exposure is best during mid of the day to produce Vitamin D . It also depends on how much area exposed. If you are fair skinned then 10mins exposure is fine . If you are dark skinned then 20 to 25 mins exposure is needed.

Tablets you may take after food once daily usually at same time.

Some brands of Vitamin D3 are
-Rexall
-Biotech
-Nature plus
-celol

Or you can take vitamin D3 sachets (60,000 IU) once in a week for 8-10 weeks

Vitamin D3 is better then Vitamin D2.

You can get this medications with local doctor prescription

Dr Deepika Patil
Follow up: Dr. Deepika Patil 18 hours later
After consulation with Doctor I have started Uprise-D3 60K once in a week and Jocare OD once in a day both for 3 months.
Brief Answer:
Continue it

Detailed Answer:

Yes you need to take the tablets for 3 months and get the vitamin D levels checked. Then dose may be adjusted.

Vitamin D you may take 6000IU daily or 60000IU per week. Continue the medication.

If no further queries are there you may close the discussion and rate the response.

Dr Deepika Patil