What do these PSA values after radiation for prostate cancer indicate?

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My husband had prostate cancer. 4 plus 3 ....... Stage 2 moderate aggression. Found thru velocity change on PSA test. Had 45 radiation treatments and PSA AFTER 3 months dropped in half from 3.3 to 1.80. Six months later PSA back up to 3.55 with white blood cells in urine no symptoms of infection......no burning no red blood no fever no pain......bladder shows emptied......they are doing a culture of urine and repeating PSA for accuracy in about three days........what are we really dealing with here........
Answered by Dr. Monish De 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal PSA level is till 4 ng/ml

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Since your husband had prostate cancer stage 2 and after radiation treatment his PSA was 1.80 ng/ml and now after 6 months PSA is 3.55 ng/ml you do not need to worry at this moment as his PSA level is still less than 4 ng/ml which is considered the cut off range for normal PSA level.
As white blood cells were found in urine culture urine test is being done to see if he is having urine infection with any bacteria.
If after repeating PSA test after 3 days it still comes to less than 4 ng/ml then your husband does not need to worry much and he can be kept for observation and I would recommend he rechecks his PSA level after 1 month of time.
Hope I have answered your query
DR De
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 15 minutes later
Our doctor made it sound that they expected a lower number not a higher one and if there is no bacteria in urine white blood cells were a cancer issue indicator something more is going on.......so its confusing me really
Answered by Dr. Monish De 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urine cytology

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Normal PSA range is till 4 ng/ml.
White blood cells in urine is a sign of infection not cancer.
A test called urine cytology test can be done to see if cancer cells are present in urine.
As of now your husband does not need to worry much and if his urine culture report comes out to be normal then he can be kept on observation and he needs to recheck his blood for serum prostate specific antigen after 1 month.
Wishing him good health.
DR De
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari