What do these MRI findings indicate?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi,

I am having symptoms of RA from last 1 year. Which I recently start diagnose of that and I am taking some DMARD tablets like Methoxerate , HCQS20 and Folic acid tabs etc.. from last 7 10 I was feeling pain in my calf and I was not able to sleep due to this same issue I consulted with my doctor he suggested me to have MRI of LS spine and Whole Screening of Spine , I already had test I am attaching reports I can see there are some multiple buldge on my spine which causing some nerve compression as far I understand doctor language.

Can you please explain me what excatly the issue and is that something serious and possible treatment and cause for this?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are suffering from PIVD.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your report in detail,in my opinion you are suffering from disc prolapse that is causing nerve compression.. The treatment is done according to the severity of symptoms. Medicines are the first line treatment along with physiotherapy. If the patient responds well with medicines then physiotherapy helps in preventing further progression of the problem. Surgery is kept as a last resort to improve the quality of life of the patient.
The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from her orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. She can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective and surgical treatment is not considered. Discuss with your orthopedician and an appropriate treatment can be planned depending on the response to medical drugs.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal