What do these MRI findings indicate?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello,
Could you please define for me the following findings of an MRI of my brain, and, inner ear. This pertains to the ear picture:
"There is minimal mastoid mucosal disease without a definite air-fluid level"

This pertains to the brain:
"Mild to moderate periventricular and subcortical white matter signal abnormality involves both hemispheres and is nonspecific."

"There is mild to moderate confluent, nodular and punctuate periventricular and subcortical white matter FLAIR and T2"

What is a "stroke dot" The Doctor said I had one.

Thank you, XXXXXXX XXXX

Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mastoiditis probably due to inner ear infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

Pointwise answers to your queries are-
1)Mastoid mucosal disease means mastoid inflammation or 'mastoiditis' which is probably a result of middle ear infection.Please consult an ENT specialist for this.
2)Periventricular and subcortical white matter hyperintensities can be normally present in old age.Some conditions may be associated as a cause of these hyperintensities like hypertension,diabetes or small vessel disease.These are more commonly found in chronic smokers.These should be interpreted in view of symptoms.The treating doctor can look out for associated conditions.
3)Stroke dot means evidence of a small stroke,on MRI.Some old persons may have evidence of small old stroke,in absence of clinical history of Stroke.Antiplatelet and Statins drugs should be started in such case.

Hope that I have answered your query.If you have some further question,I shall be glad to have you in follow up else please close the thread,rate it and write a review as your rating will be of help to me.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 13 hours later
Can the stroke dot be seen on the cat scan, Doctor? Thank you so much for the detailed answers to all the questions, Doctor Panwar.

It sets the mind at ease to know. I am a retired RN. We always will suffer from diagnosing ourselves, I guess. So, it is invaluable to have a firm answer. XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,it can be.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Of course,a stroke dot-new as well as old,can be seen on a CT Scan.

You can get back to me in case of any further query.
If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to answer else please close the thread,rate it and write a review as your rating will be of help to me.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)