What do these MRI findings indicate?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: 43 year old been having cognitive problems, very unusual for me. Have a very high career and finding confusion and memory issues. Been doing same thing for 23 years and suddenly having problems cognitively and affecting me at work. Was referred to a neurologist had mri of brain cervical and thoracic spine. Neuro appt on 10-14 but got ahold of mri report brain one says :"there are a few punctate foci of t2 prolongation within the subcortial white matter of the frontal and parietal loves which are nonspecific in nature "
Findings "nonspecific foci of t2 prolongation within white matter which may represent small vessile ischemic disease versus less likely demyelinating disease. No definite Mri evidence of multiple sclerosis "

Can't wait for appt want to know what is happening
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Multiple sclerosis suspected.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

First, I need to ask you what you mean by cognitive impairment and if this was a conclusion achieved by a Physician.

At this point, multiple sclerosis (a demyelination autoimmune disease) is suspected to be the cause of your concerns, but MRI findings are not specific.

Just cognitive impairment is not the hallmark symptom of multiple sclerosis, symptoms of such disease include: numbness and weaknesses of one or more limbs, partial loss of vision and/or eye pain, tingling in limbs or trunk, slurred speech, fatigue, problems with bladder and bowel functions.

If you experienced the above symptoms, besides cognitive impairment, then, your concerns are probably caused by multiple sclerosis.

If just cognitive impairment, but no other symptoms, your condition is related to anxiety and stress disorder.

If I were your treating Doctor, I would order spinal tap and cerebrospinal fluid examination in order to diagnose or exclude multiple sclerosis.

So, you have to wait about conclusions of neurologic examination.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

I remain at your disposal for further questions and clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 24 minutes later
Yes i am experiencing most every one of the issues u mentioned. Dr asked me to walk one foot in front of the other and didnt realize my balance was so bad as well as bladder/bowel issues. Tingling/ weakness /itching and many other issues. Cognitive is what brought me to dr other issues werent immediately addressed, just dealt with
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multiple sclerosis most probable diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back and thanks for the clarifications.

In this case, multiple sclerosis should be considered as the most probable condition that is causing your symptoms.

This should be discussed with your Neurologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj