Owl Image

What do these CT and MRI brain reports indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
Im a 36 yr old female. on october 14th of this year i had a vetrebral artery dissection on my right side of neck which lead to several strokes in the cerebellum. i went to ER last night having symptoms of vertigo, a loud noise in head, clammy cold hands and general unwell feeling. i had mri and ct scan which is attached but i have a hard time understanding. looks like ct was abnormal with possibility of 3 different issues but mri is normal? should i be worried about the ct scan or possibility of one of those 3 happening. also does this mean my artery dissection has healed? thank you
Mon, 28 May 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is no need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr. Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and I would try my best to help you.

I have noted your clinical details, CT and MRI brain reports. Based on this, the CT scan, as well as MRI brain scan, show only the OLD infarcts, which are healing. There is no acute (new) infarct. The three possibilities mentioned in the CT scan are not to be worried about. The artifact is not a disease and is referred to technical problems on the CT scan films.

PRES (posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome) symptoms are different and that has been excluded on MRI. Ischemia refers to decreased blood flow to the brain, which occurred in October 2017, and is still visible on CT and MRI films (healing stage).

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: XXXX