What do these BP readings indicate?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I am a 68 year old male, my blood pressure varies every time I take a reading; I take three readings and this is how they read; 129/68, 120/65, 128/65 Some days they will vary from 138/70, 134/68, 128/65
What is my real blood pressure and do I need to take blood pressure medication?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
the blood pressure varies

Detailed Answer:

the blood pressure may vary from time to time and depending on various factors like physical activity, psychological stress or excitement, etc.

Most doctors recommend measuring your blood pressure at least twice each time because sometimes the second measurement may be lower (and closer to the real blood pressure) than the first. If 2 measurements have been taken then the correct one is the lowest. If more than 2 have been taken than you can ignore the first one (unless it's the lowest) and calculate the mean value of the rest of the measurements.

Your readings are OK. They are within the normal range of values although some readings are borderline, particularly for home self-measurements. You don't need any medications for the aforementioned values. Since you've got some borderline readings you'd better watch your salt consumption though!

Adding extra salt to the food should be avoided. Eating processed food should be avoided too. Processed food and food you buy in a restaurant or fast food is full of salt. Cold cuts should be avoided and cheese consumption reduced to a minimum. Too much bread may add much salt to your daily consumption.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!