question-icon

What do these ALT and AST levels indicate?

Posted on Wed, 11 May 2016
Question: Just got labs back, my AST is 108, ALT is 112. What do these numbers mean?Also my A1c is 11.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Possible liver issue

Detailed Answer:
Hi and Welcome to HCM.

First of all , A1c is showing not good regulated Diabetes so you should see a Diabetologist for a more detailed physical check-up.

Secondly , ALT and AST are liver markers which are significantly elevated in your case and further tests should be done to rule out viral hepatitis, liver cirrhosis and biliary disorders. Also,some medications as well as food may cause liver damage as well.

At this point,you don't need to be very concerned if there is no jaundice or any other symptom. But you should undergo for UltraSonography of the Hepato-Biliary System and check viral markers.

Let me know if there're any further queries.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon