What do the following ultrasound reports indicate?

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I am 8 weeks pregnant and recently have had a series of ultrasounds and blood tests due to spotting during weeks 4 & 5 (Nothing since!) and have seen a steady growth of gestational sac, fetal pole to fetus. There has been a recordable heartbeat at my last two ultrasounds (125bpm at 6weeks+5days and 162bpm at 7weeks+6 days). However, at the last ultrasound, they determined that I have a low-lying pregnancy and that the gestational sac is not in the fundus where it typically is. Is this something that I should be concerned about? I am no longer having spotting, have not had any cramping or pain & the baby seems to be growing on track!
Answered by Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Close follow up needed

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

It was a good step to perform ultrasonography when you had spotting. It is a good finding that the baby is unaffected. It could have been implantation spotting. It is a good idea to start some progestational medicine like Susten to stabilize pregnancy.

Now your baby is very healthy. Just keep follow up.

Yes, low lying placenta can be an issue of concern. It causes some bleeding. However, as the pregnancy goes on advancing, the placenta may go up. Keep a track of the distance between lower end of placenta and the inner opening of the cervix.

At this stage, you need not take any special step for this placental disposition. However, regular ultrasonography follow up is absolutely necessary.

You may please upload the reports and images of ultrasonography and other investigations for my review. I would appreciate if you upload the future investigation reports and images.

For any more information or advice, I am always available for you, XXXX.

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 34 minutes later
Thank you for the quick response, Dr. Shrotri. I have attached the last ultrasound I had, two days ago, at 7 weeks and 6 days based on my LMP.
Answered by Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cardiac activity of the baby is a good sign

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

The resolution of the image is not that good when enlarged. Can you upload the report of this image?

Apparently it does appear as low lying gestational sac which looks to be quite near the internal opening of the cervix. In such disposition, the chances of miscarriage are there. Hence, please be restricted to the bed, take some Progestational preparation like Susten. Since the cardiac activity of the baby is good, the chances of continuation of pregnancy are quite high. Period upto 14 weeks of gestation is rather critical. Please ask your ultrasonologist about the distance of the sac from the internal cervical os.

I would appreciate the follow up reports and images.

Please feel free to ask for any more information, XXXX.

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D