What do the following test reports indicate?

Dr. Divakara

Posted on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: https://www.healthcaremagic.com/AskDoctorInboxServlet?page=viewQuery&queryId=313239

The above link shows the discussions before.

Tests done:-
1) Thyroid
2) Iron
3) Vitamin B12

My Iron is less but Haemoglobin is 15.80 according to earlier reports. Why is it like this?
Answered by Dr. Divakara 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Indicates Early Iron deficiency.

Detailed Answer:
HI

Thanks for posting your query. I have gone through the attached reports.

Low Iron with normal Hemoglobin indicates early Iron deficiency. If Iron deficiency continues for few more months without being corrected then your Hemoglobin shall start reducing .

So I recommend you to start Iron supplements like Tab Orofer--XT one tab every morning for 1 month, also have Iron rich food like Fish, Dates, Millet, Green leafy vegetables, Beetroot.

Also I recommend one more test called Stool for Occult blood to check if there is any blood loss in your stools .

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Divakara 6 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

I had Orefor-XT in December for 30 days. Why it did not raise the Iron Deficiency? That time you asked me to take Iron supplements as my MCV was low and RBC high.

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Divakara 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
1 month course might have been Inadequate.

Detailed Answer:
HI

Yes , it didn't raised most likely because the duration I advised was inadequate. Hence I am advising it again for 1 more month.

One more possibility is you might be having mild blood loss in your stools ( it may not come to your notice ) , in that case the body utilising Iron more to produce Haemoglobin and due to increased demand you may have Iron deficiency. That's the reason I have advised you to get Stool for Occult blood to check if there is any blood loss in your stools .

There is one more cause for low Iron. That is reduced absorption of Iron . This can happen due to Infection in Stomach ( H.Pylori ) or some other diseases. I would recommend evaluation for this at later stage if a second course of Orofer fails to restore your Iron levels and Stool test is negative .

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj